Edited Collection – Caliphates and Islamic Global Politics

9781910814017

‘Caliphates and Islamic Global Politics’ an Edited Collection from E-International Relations. Available worldwide on Amazon (UK, USA) and in all other good book stores.

Like all of E-IR’s Publications, the Collection is also available as a free ebook download here.

Edited by: Timothy Poirson and Robert L. Oprisko.

The events of the Arab Spring, beginning in December 2010, saw renewed hope for Arab Civil Society. However, the fall of authoritarian regimes did not always seem to benefit Civil Society – whilst Political Islamic movements often took advantage. In Syria, Iraq, and beyond, groups like the Islamic State are declaring Caliphates in the territories they seize in an attempt to fulfil the Political Islam ideal of a ‘global Islamic Caliphate’ encompassing the Muslim world.

This collection of articles aims to address common questions about Political Islam, as well as to provide an assessment of the Islamic State/ISIS/ISIL and finally challenge common understandings on the issue of Islam and democracy.

Contributors: Maximilian Lakitsch, Juan A. Macías-Amoretti, Adel Elsayed Sparr, Joseph Kaminski, Haian Dukhan, Sinan Hawat, Rana Khalaf, Mohammed Nuruzzaman, and M. A. Muqtedar Khan.

Originally published online December 2014, in print April 2015

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,