Edited Collection – Restoring Indigenous Self-Determination: Theoretical and Practical Approaches

9781910814031 copy
Restoring Indigenous Self-Determination: Theoretical and Practical Approaches
an E-IR Edited Collection. Edited by Marc Woons.

The new version is available now on Amazon (UK, USA), in all good book stores, and via a free PDF download. Find out more about E-IR’s range of open access books here.

Indigenous peoples around the world find themselves locked in power struggles with dominant states and transnational actors who resist their claims to land, culture, political recognition and other key factors associated with the idea of national self-determination. In the vast majority of cases, states and transnational corporations see such claims as barriers to their own state-building and capitalistic projects that depend heavily on exerting control over traditional Indigenous lands and extracting its resources.

In 2007, the importance of Indigenous self-determination alongside that of nation-states was significantly enhanced when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples – suggesting that an important attitudinal shift might now be taking place internationally. Yet, as this volume’s contributors suggest, much more work is needed in terms of understanding what Indigenous self-determination means in theory and how it is to be achieved in practice.

Table of Contents

Preface to New Version (Jeff Corntassel)
Introduction (Marc Woons)

1. Self-Determination and State Definitions of Indigenous Peoples (Ravi de Costa)
  2. Self-Determination as Anti-Extractivism: How Indigenous Resistance Challenges World Politics (Manuela L. Picq)
  3. Self-Determination and Indigenous Health: Is There a Connection? (Michael Murphy)
  4. Self-Determination as Self-Transformation (Tim Rowse)
  5. Knowledge, Technology, and the Pragmatic Dimensions of Self-Determination (Marisa Elena Duarte)
  6. Māori Self-Determination and a Liberal Theory of Indigeneity (Dominic O’Sullivan)
  7. Restoring Indigenous Self-Determination through Relational Autonomy and Transnational Mediation (Roderic Pitty)
  8. Implementing Indigenous Self-Determination: The Case of the Sámi in Norway (Else Grete Broderstad)
  9. Revitalizing African Indigenous Ways of Knowing and Knowledge Production (Hassan O. Kaya)
  10. China and the Un Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples: The Case of Tibet (Michael Davis)
  11. Tibetan Self-Determination: A Stark Choice for an Abandoned People (Rob Dickinson)
  12. Self-Determination: A Perspective from Abya Yala (Emilio Del Valle Escalante)

Tags: , , , , , , ,