Edited Collection – System, Society and the World: Exploring the English School

9781910814055System, Society and the World: Exploring the English School of International Relations (Second Edition) an E-IR Edited Collection. Edited by Robert W. Murray.

The Second Edition is available now on Amazon (UK, USA), in all good book stores, and via a free PDF download. Find out more about E-IR’s range of open access books here.

Since its reorganisation in the 1990s, the English School of International Relations has emerged as a popular theoretical lens through which to examine global events. Those who use the approach promote it as a middle way of theorising due to its ability to incorporate features from both systemic and domestic perspectives into one coherent lens. This volume, now in its second edition, brings together some of the most important voices on the English School to highlight the multifaceted nature of the School’s applications in International Relations.

Table of Contents

INTRODUCTION – Robert W. Murray

1. THE STATE OF THE ART OF THE ENGLISH SCHOOL
    Filippo Costa Buranelli
  2. WORLD SOCIETY AND ENGLISH SCHOOL METHODS
    Cornelia Navari
  3. REASSESSING THE EXPANSION OF INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY
    Richard Little
  4. INTERPRETING DIPLOMACY: THE APPROACH OF THE EARLY ENGLISH SCHOOL
    Ian Hall
  5. CIVILISATIONS AND INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY
    Andrew Linklater
  6. TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETATION: THE ENGLISH SCHOOL AND IR THEORY IN CHINA
    Roger Epp
  7. AN OVERVIEW OF THE ENGLISH SCHOOL’S ENGAGEMENT WITH HUMAN RIGHTS
    Adrian Gallagher
  8. MORAL RESPONSIBILITY IN INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS: THE US RESPONSE TO RWANDA
    Cathinka Vik
  9. THE ENGLISH SCHOOL AND HUMANITARIAN INTERVENTION
    Tim Dunne
  10. SHIFTING GEARS: FROM GLOBAL TO REGIONAL THE ENGLISH SCHOOL AND THE STUDY OF SUB-GLOBAL INTERNATIONAL SOCIETIES
    Yannis A. Stivachtis
  11. ANOTHER REVOLT AGAINST THE WEST?
    Jason Ralph
  12. FROM CINDERELLA TO BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: (DE)HUMANISING WORLD SOCIETY
    Matthew S. Weinert
  13. PLURALISM AND INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY
    Tom Keating
  14. PLURALISM, THE ENGLISH SCHOOL AND THE CHALLENGE OF NORMATIVE THEORY
    John Williams
  15. GREAT POWER MANAGEMENT: ENGLISH SCHOOL MEETS GOVERNMENTALITY?
    Alexander Astrov
  16. THE NEED FOR AN ENGLISH SCHOOL RESEARCH PROGRAMME
    Robert W. Murray

Tags: , , , ,