Call for Papers – Realism: An Appraisal

In a 1995 article, Ethan Kapstein argued that Realism in International Relations might be ‘deeply and perhaps fatally flawed’ yet ‘continues to define the discipline’. Not long after, Jeffrey Legro and Andrew Moravcsik also saw a dominant role of Realist voices, while at the same time seeing Realism ‘in trouble’ and ‘in need of reformulation’. Two decades later, Realism remains a cornerstone of International Relations theory – yet the discipline has evolved in many ways. E-International Relations therefore invites authors to contribute to an edited collection about the current state, past development, and future challenges that Realism faces in International Relations.

About this project

Realism: An Appraisal will be an open access edited collection featuring 10-15 contributions. It will be available to readers of E-International Relations (www.E-IR.info) via free e-book download and also sold in paperback in book stores worldwide: a model that ensures the widest dissemination in the field.

You can view existing E-IR books here: http://www.e-ir.info/publications/

The authors we select will have a proven, or emerging, record in writing about International Relations theory. PhD students and postdocs are welcome as part of E-IR’s mission to support younger scholars.

We invite contributions about the current state and role of Realism and the challenges it is facing from recent developments in the field. We do not seek to be overly prescriptive, and look forward to authors taking advantage of this invitation to shape interesting chapters as they see fit. That being said, we place a premium on contributions that use real world examples and we expect this to be reflected in abstracts (see below). More importantly, writing in an E-International Relations book requires that you adhere to our editorial mission statement, which is to provide cutting edge scholarship in a way that preferences brevity and accessibility. This remains so when discussing complex theoretical issues.

Abstracts

We welcome abstracts of around 350 words sent to Max Nurnus via email: mnurnus@snu.ac.kr by 29 March 2016. You may also address any questions to that address.

Your abstract should indicate, concisely, (1) exactly how you would like to appraise realism and (2) how you would illustrate your major points with real world examples – where relevant. Please also send us a brief author biography via an attached CV or a link to your academic webpage.

The guide length of commissioned chapters will be 4000 words, so we will expect that you factor this length into your abstract/planning. And, please remember how much we value the use of real world examples and accessible language. The absence of those in your abstract will likely lead to us not accepting it. Acceptance decisions will be made within four weeks after the submission deadline, after which we will contact all applicants with our response.