Now Recruiting – International Relations Theory Editors

Volunteering with E-International Relations (E-IR) is not your typical ‘work experience’. First, we have no office – everything is decentralized and we use a range of virtual tools to organize and coordinate our activities (including Slack, Google Docs, Skype and the odd email). Second, editors are empowered to set their own agendas and develop their own projects. This ranges from pursuing personal interests to commission and edit content for the website, to having an idea for a new section and then working with the team to plan, test and build it. The result is that the more E-IR volunteers give of themselves, the more they take away from the experience. It’s a place where people with a bit of initiative and drive really thrive.

E-IR has no paid staff members and is maintained by a registered non-profit organisation based in Bristol, England. Our volunteer editors work on the website and give up some of their spare time simply because they want to have a hand in maintaining the best online resource for students and scholars of international politics. Many of our former editors have built on their experience of working with us to go on to senior positions in the publishing industry, politics, and academia.

This particular role is aimed at PhD students / postdocs who are pursuing research in any area of International Relations Theory (or an associated area such as Political Theory). Masters students on a PhD pathway are also eligible to apply. The role involves using your expertise in the field to identify prospective authors to write for the website, especially up and coming names as opposed to just leading experts. Ideally, this would be targeted into sets of articles on related themes – or into an Edited Collection. As those pieces arrive, you will work with the author to prepare them for publication. The role is an exciting opportunity to network with scholars around the world, and can also serve as a pathway into senior editorial positions on the E-IR team. You would also be encouraged to write for the website.

You do not need to physically attend a place of work to volunteer with us, you just need your own computer with the usual software (especially Microsoft Office) and a reliable internet connection. You also need to be the type of person who checks their email regularly and probably spends too much time on their computer / mobile device!

If you feel that you would like to take on this role you must have at least 5 hours a week to spare during normal working weeks for a duration of at least 6 months. You must be a self-starter, willing and able to work on your own initiative with little supervision. Finally, you must have strong English language skills as you will need to assist in editing the articles that you commission.

We hope to appoint a team of 3-5 editors to work as part of an IR theory team.

► To apply, send us an email titled ‘IR Theory Editor’ to join@e-ir.info

Within that email – in less than 500 words:

1. Tell us what we need to know about your academic past/future/publications etc.
  2. Define one clear area of IR Theory we should be investing more of our time in and how you would go about addressing this. Ideally, this answer would showcase your expertise/interests.
  3. Attach an academic writing sample (an essay or conference paper will do) and link your academic website if you have one.

**Applications for this role are open until 1 May, after which we will respond to shortlisted candidates** Unfortunately, we cannot reply to candidates that we do not shortlist.

Tags: