Now Recruiting: Editorial Assistants

About this role

Are you the kind of person that likes to stay busy doing a range of different things? Someone who has energy, drive and a desire to not just think things up, but see them through to completion? Most importantly, are you passionate to be involved with the E-IR team and help us make the website even better? If so, we are looking for students at all levels (undergraduate, Masters, PhD) to help us build content for our brand new Student Portal. This is the newest section of E-IR (it only just went live!) and needs a vibrant team of editors to help us reach its potential. The main role will be in helping us locate resources and commission content for the new section. You will be working with senior members of the E-IR team as you do this.

A little bit about E-IR

Volunteering with E-International Relations (E-IR) is not your typical ‘work experience’. First, we have no office – everything is decentralized and we use a range of virtual tools to organize and coordinate our activities (including Slack, Google Docs, Skype and the odd email). Second, editors are empowered to set their own agendas and develop their own projects. This ranges from pursuing personal interests to commission and edit content for the website, to having an idea for a new section and then working with the team to plan, test and build it. The result is that the more E-IR volunteers give of themselves, the more they take away from the experience. It’s a place where people with a bit of initiative and drive really thrive. Yes, we need you to do the essential tasks that your role involves – but we also hope that as you do so you come up with ways we can improve things and share ideas for expansion and growth.

Every editor who contributes their time to E-IR is a volunteer, including E-IR’s Directors and Editor-in-Chief. E-IR has no paid staff members and is maintained by a registered non-profit organisation based in Bristol, England. Our volunteer editors work on the website and give up some of their spare time simply because they want to have a hand in maintaining the best online resource for students and scholars of international politics. Many of our former editors have built on their experience of working with us to go on to senior positions in the publishing industry, politics, and academia.

You do not need to physically attend a place of work to volunteer with us, you just need your own computer with the usual software (especially Microsoft Office) and a reliable internet connection. You also need to be the type of person who checks their email regularly and probably spends too much time on their computer / mobile device!

All editorial assistants who complete 6 months with us are invited to progress into a more senior role at E-IR – so it is an excellent way to get involved.

How to apply

Send us an email titled ‘Editorial Assistant’ to join@e-ir.info

In that email, write a 300 word (maximum!) statement in the email body telling us:

1) Why you are someone we should add to our team – in other words, what’s unique/interesting about you?
2) Give us a brief summary of your academic experience so far (where/what you have studied).

Do not attach a CV or anything else, as we will not read those. All we need are your answers to what’s written above.

This position closes for applications on 1 October.

We will respond to anyone that catches our eye as soon as we can. Usually this is within 20 working days of receipt of your application, though at busy times it can take longer. Unfortunately, due to the number of enquiries that we receive, we cannot reply to candidates that we do not shortlist.

Tags: , , ,