Recruiting for 2017: Commissioning Editors

2017 is going to be a big year for E-IR. If you have a few hours a week to set aside to help us work with leading experts on producing content for the site, please read on!

Volunteering with E-International Relations (E-IR) is not your typical ‘work experience’. First, we have no office – everything is decentralized and we use a range of virtual tools to organize and coordinate our activities (including Slack, Google Docs, Skype and the odd email). Second, editors are empowered to set their own agendas and develop their own projects. This ranges from pursuing personal interests to commission and edit content for the website, to having an idea for a new section and then working with the team to plan, test and build it. The result is that the more E-IR volunteers give of themselves, the more they take away from the experience. It’s a place where people with a bit of initiative and drive really thrive. Yes, we need you to do the essential tasks that your role involves – but we also hope that as you do so you come up with ways we can improve things and share ideas for expansion and growth.

E-IR has no paid staff members and is maintained by a registered non-profit organisation. Our volunteer editors work on the website and give up some of their spare time simply because they want to have a hand in maintaining the best online resource for students and scholars of international politics. Many of our former editors have built on their experience of working with us to go on to senior positions in the publishing industry, politics, and academia. You do not need to physically attend a place of work to volunteer with us, you just need your own computer with the usual software (especially Microsoft Office) and a reliable internet connection. You also need to be the type of person who checks their email regularly and probably spends too much time on their computer / mobile device!

The basic idea of being a Commissioning Editor is that you work around an idea, or a subject of your own choosing – then you find relevant prospective expert authors and contact them inviting them to write. As those pieces come in, you work with the author to prepare them for publication. The role is an exciting opportunity to network with leading experts and can also serve as a pathway into senior editorial positions on the E-IR team.

If you feel that you would like to take on this role, see below for application criteria:

1) You must be a current masters/grad/Ph.D student. We will accept applications from persons currently in a break from study who intend to pursue further study within 12 months, but not from graduates who have permanently finished their studies. We also welcome early career academics. We welcome those in politics/IR specialities – but also beyond (geography, sociology, philosophy, history, media etc.) as we desire a broad range of expertise to be represented on the website.

2) Look over our articles section. Identify areas where we are lacking coverage both practical and theoretical. Develop ideas of where you could help plug any gaps. Communicate these to us in your application. The more detailed your response, the better.

3) You should have a good knowledge of what E-IR is via reading over our About section, and most importantly, reading our Articles Writing Guide to understand our benchmarks/criteria for articles.

4) You must have around 5 hours a week to spare. We anticipate your level of engagement will vary due to academic pressures, so our work ethic is highly flexible – built to accommodate student life.

5) You must have strong English language skills – as you will need to assist in editing the articles you commission.

To apply, send us an email titled ‘Commissioning Editor’ to join@e-ir.info

Within that email – in less than 500 words:

1) Tell us what we need to know about your academic past/future
2) Note your response/thoughts/ideas to point 2 above.
3) Attach, or link to, an academic writing sample.

We hope to get back to anyone who we feel would be a good addition to our team within 4 weeks of application. We welcome those who have applied unsuccessfully in the past to re-apply. Unfortunately, we cannot reply to candidates that we do not short-list.

Tags: