Call for Papers – The Clash of Civilizations: Twenty-Five Years On

In view of the 25th anniversary of the publication of Samuel P. Huntington’s article “The Clash of Civilizations?”, E-International Relations invites authors to submit abstracts for an open access edited collection titled The Clash of Civilizations: Twenty-Five Years On. The book will be available to readers of E-International Relations via free e-book download and also sold in paperback in book stores worldwide: a model that ensures the widest dissemination in the field. You can view existing E-IR books here: http://www.e-ir.info/publications/

Aims and Scope

Over the past 25 years, Huntington’s article has had an immense impact on the ways in which the public opinion and the academic world think about world politics. Not only has the idea of a clash of civilizations influenced public debate after 9/11, but it is also shaping much of the ongoing conversation over terrorism, immigration, the refugee crisis, and more. At the same time, however, the Clash-thesis is often dismissed for its inaccuracy and contested from a rich variety of perspectives. By offering an analysis of both Huntington’s thesis and of its impact on current debates in IR and Politics, this book aims to become a guide to students and a point of reference for scholars.

We invite contributions addressing any aspect related to Huntington’s controversial thesis. All approaches to International Relations (theoretical or empirical) and the History of Political Thought are welcome.

Proposed topics include, but are not limited to:

• the concept of civilization;
  • the relationship between Nation-state and civilizations;
  • the link between religions and civilizations;
  • the impact of the clash of civilization on public debate, for example after 9/11; in relation to the refugee crisis in Europe; Islamophobia; ISIS; and the rise of Far-Right movements.

We would also welcome papers challenging or praising Huntington’s thesis and focusing on some cases in international politics. These could include, but are not limited to:

• Turkey-EU relationship;
  • China-US relationship;
  • Russia-Ukraine war;
  • US-Saudi Arabia alliance.

Abstracts

We welcome abstracts of around 350-500 words sent to Davide Orsi via email: drorsid@gmail.com by 31 March. You may also address any questions to that address. Please also send us a brief author biography via an attached CV or a link to your academic webpage.

The guide length of commissioned chapters will be 4000 words, so we will expect that you factor this length into your abstract/planning. Acceptance decisions will be made within four weeks after the submission deadline, after which we will contact all applicants with our response.

PhD students, postdocs, and independent scholars are welcome as part of E-IR’s mission to support younger scholars.

About the Editor

Davide Orsi, PhD (Cardiff) is an Editor-at-large at E-IR. His first book Michael Oakeshott’s Political Philosophy of International Relations: Civil Association and International Society (2016) explores the historical and normative dimension of international society by relating Oakeshott’s philosophy of civil association to English School theories of international relations. He is also co-editor of Realism in Practice: An Appraisal, forthcoming by E-International Relations.

Tags: , ,