Open Access Book – Sounds of War: Aesthetics, Emotions and Chechnya

Sounds of War: Aesthetics, Emotions and Chechnya.
An E-IR Open Access book by Susanna Hast.
Available now on Amazon (UK, USA, Ca, Ger, Fra), in all good book stores, and via a free PDF download.

Sounds of War is a book on the aesthetics of war experience in Chechnya. It includes theory on, and stories of, compassion, dance, children’s agency and love. It is not simply a book to be read, but to be listened to. The chapters begin with the author’s own songs expressing research findings and methodology in musical form. Susanna Hast is Academy of Finland postdoctoral researcher with a project “Bodies in War, Bodies in Dance” (2017–2020) at the Theatre Academy Helsinki, University of the Arts. She does artistic research on emotions, embodiment and war and teaches dance for immigrant and asylum-seeking women in Finland.

This book’s chapters (with the exception of chapter two) are titled with reference to a song and opened with that song’s lyrics. You can listen to all the songs featured in this book, and download the full album, on the companion website.

Table of Contents

FOREWORD
INTRODUCTION: THE SOUNDS OF WAR

1. DEAF
  2. CONDEMNED TO HOPE
  3. PIT
  4. ALIA
  5. FIFTEEN THOUSAND
  6. LONELY NIGHT
  7. LIE

Listen to the songs

More media resources can be found on Susanna Hast’s YouTube channel