Submitting an essay to E-IR is an opportunity to share your best work with your global peer group and to contribute towards the leading online resource for students of international politics. We accept work from undergraduate and masters students that falls into any area of international politics/IR, international law, the social sciences, or any subject that draws upon issues of interest to our readers.
All essays published on E-IR are automatically eligible for our monthly Student Essay Award, which has a prize of £100 of book tokens from Routledge.
We will only consider your essay for publication if it adheres to our structural benchmarks and essential formatting requirements (see below). So please revise your essay carefully with our writing guide in mind to give yourself a good chance.
NB: We do not attest to the accuracy of the essays that we publish, nor do we edit their content. We simply choose the best essays that fulfil our quality criteria and copy-edit them structurally for publication. The essays are published as an academic exercise so that students can access good examples of work undertaken by their peers.
• Essays should be assessed and awarded a First Class / ‘A’ grade OR 3.6 GPA or above OR a ‘Distinction’ (or equivalent).
• We expect that you have applied any corrections and/or improvements raised by your tutor in your grading feedback.
• Referencing must be to academic standards with a full bibliographic reference for each source used (any format is fine).
• English language/grammar must be of a high standard. Avoid contractions and first-person if possible.
• All information required on our essays upload form (linked below) must be present at the time of submission.
• Dissertations are welcome if carefully re-formatted to our needs. We do not accept presentations / group work (etc.)
• Present your essay in one finalised .doc /.docx file (Word format). No separate attachments or other formats are permitted.
- Bold-set and left align all headings. Italicise any subheadings. Remove all heading scripts and custom formatting.
- If you have used chapters in addition to headings, mark these out clearly in capitals, e.g. CHAPTER ONE.
- Do not indent the first sentences of paragraphs. Leave one clear line of space between each paragraph.
- Place all quotations in standard quotation marks and indent longer quotes. Do not italicise any quotations.
- Remove all contents pages, declarations, word counts, abstracts, custom templates, cover pages, etc.
- Any images/tables in your essay that originate from sources that are subject to copyright must be removed.
► When ready, upload your essay here. If successful, you will see a notification confirming receipt.
We respond to every author with our final decision within 8 weeks of submission. Please do not send us any more than 2 essays during any 8 week period. You are welcome to send us more once we have been in touch regarding your existing submission/s.