Now Recruiting: Climate and Environment Editor

This role is aimed at those who are interested in working in a diverse team to build a vibrant series of interdisciplinary articles on the website on the interconnected issues of climate and environmental politics. We welcome applicants who are pursuing research in any field that falls within the remit of the role including from associated areas such as public health and social studies. The role involves using your expertise in the field to identify prospective authors to write for the website, especially up and coming names as opposed to just leading experts. As those pieces arrive, you will work with the author to prepare them for publication. The role is an exciting opportunity to network with scholars around the world, and can also serve as a pathway into senior editorial positions on the E-IR team. You would also be encouraged to write for the website and given the opportunity to edit one of E-IR’s prestigious Edited Collections.

E-IR is maintained by a registered non-profit organisation and run by an all-volunteer editorial team. Our volunteer editors work on the website and give up some of their spare time simply because they want to have a hand in maintaining the best online resource for students and scholars of international politics. Many of our former editors have built on their experience of working with us to go on to senior positions in the publishing industry, politics, and academia. You do not need to physically attend a place of work to volunteer with us, you just need your own computer with the usual software (especially Microsoft Office) and a reliable internet connection. You also need to be the type of person who checks their email regularly and probably spends too much time on their computer / mobile device!

The application requirements are listed below, so please consider these points carefully. Before you apply, you should have a good knowledge of what E-IR is via reading over our About section.

1) We typically seek applications from Ph.D students/early career academics for this role. Though we will consider exceptional Masters students who are on a Ph.D pathway.

2) We welcome those in politics/IR specialities – but we are keen to also look beyond (geography, sociology, public health, etc.) as we desire a broad range of expertise from across the humanities and social sciences to be represented on the website.

3) You should have at least 5 hours a week to spare and be able to commit to the role for at least 6 months (hopefully longer). We anticipate your level of engagement will vary due to academic pressures, so be reassured that our work ethic is highly flexible – built to accommodate academic life.

4) You must have strong English language skills – as you will need to assist in editing material for the website.

To apply, send us an email titled ‘Climate Editor’ to info@e-ir.info

Within that email – in less than 500 words:

1) Tell us what we need to know about your academic past/future/publications etc.

2) Identify areas that should be explored in a series of articles for the website, and explain where and how you can help us improve our coverage of climate and environment content. Please be exact and avoid generality. The more direct, the better.

3) Attach an academic writing sample (a student essay or conference paper will do) and link your academic website if you have one.

*The position will remain open for applications as long as this page is live, and we will endeavour to reply to all candidates that we shortlist within 3-4 weeks of application*

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments