Now Recruiting – Features Editors

E-IR seeks students at all levels to help us expand our interviews and reviews sections to incorporate a wider geographical focus and explore debates at the cutting edge of scholarship.

Volunteering with E-International Relations (E-IR) is not your typical ‘work experience’. First, we have no office – everything is decentralized and we use a range of virtual tools to organize and coordinate our activities (including Slack, Google Docs, Skype and the odd email). Second, editors are empowered to set their own agendas and develop their own projects. This ranges from pursuing personal interests to commission and edit content for the website, to having an idea for a new section and then working with the team to plan, test and build it. The result is that the more E-IR volunteers give of themselves, the more they take away from the experience. It’s a place where people with a bit of initiative and drive really thrive.

E-IR has no paid staff members and is maintained by a registered non-profit organisation based in Bristol, England. Our volunteer editors work on the website and give up some of their spare time simply because they want to have a hand in maintaining the best online resource for students and scholars of international politics. Many of our former editors have built on their experience of working with us to go on to senior positions in the publishing industry, politics, and academia.

You do not need to physically attend a place of work to volunteer with us, you just need your own computer with the usual software (especially Microsoft  Office) and a reliable internet connection. You also need to be the type of person who checks their email regularly and probably spends too much time on their computer / mobile device!

This particular role is aimed at applicants who would like to help us secure content for our Features section, which involves reviews of books and other media, and interviews with scholars and policy-makers. While we are happy to receive applicants representing a wide range of interests, most welcome are students with an interest in commissioning interviews and reviews dealing with feminist and environmentalist approaches – as well as how contemporary film and video gaming reflect global and inter-state politics. We are also seeking to expand our geographical coverage so applicants with a focus on Latin America or South/Southeast Asia are welcome.

The role is an exciting opportunity to network with scholars around the world, and can also serve as a pathway into senior editorial positions on the E-IR team.

If you feel that you would like to take on this role you must have at least 5 hours a week to spare during normal working weeks. You must be a self-starter, willing and able to work on your own initiative with little supervision. Finally, you must have strong English language skills as you will need to assist in the editing of the content that you commission.

To apply, send us an email titled ‘Features Editor’ to join@e-ir.info

Within that email – in less than 500 words (NB: we do not want a pre-written CV):

1) Tell us what we need to know about your academic past/present/future plans.
2) Tell us what areas of content our interviews and reviews lack coverage of, and how you propose to help us address this. The more detailed you are, the better. This may be in response to one of the areas we have outlined above, or a different area of your own interest.
3) Attach, or link, an academic writing sample (a student essay will suffice).

This call remains open until 15 March. We will respond to anyone who catches our eye before 30 March. We regret that due to the volume of applications that we receive, we cannot respond to candidates who we do not short-list.

Tags: ,