Online Resources – The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation

The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) was established with the signing of the SAARC Charter in Dhaka on 8 December 1985. SAARC comprises of eight Member States: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. The Secretariat of the Association was set up in Kathmandu on 17 January 1987. The objectives of the Association as outlined in the SAARC Charter are: to promote the welfare of the peoples of South Asia and to improve their quality of life; to accelerate economic growth, social progress and cultural development in the region and to provide all individuals the opportunity to live in dignity and to realize their full potentials; to promote and strengthen collective self-reliance among the countries of South Asia; to contribute to mutual trust, understanding and appreciation of one another’s problems; to promote active collaboration and mutual assistance in the economic, social, cultural, technical and scientific fields; to strengthen cooperation with other developing countries; to strengthen cooperation among themselves in international forums on matters of common interests; and to cooperate with international and regional organizations with similar aims and purposes.

Taken from: http://saarc-sec.org/about-saarc

What is SAARC?

SAARC website

NTI- SAARC Info

SAARC Chamber of Commerce and Industry

SAARC Development Fund

SAARC Charter

SAARC Statistics

SAARC Visa Exemption Scheme

SAARC Activities

Benefits and Opportunities of Regional Cooperation in South Asia – World Bank

SAARC in the New Millenium: Promises to Keep – Indian Diplomacy

SAARC Opinions, Reports and Discussions:

A Critical Disconnect: The Role of SAARC in building DRM capacities of South Asian countries (2015)

SAARC is dead, long live SAARC- The Diplomat

South Asian “Zombie”: The futility of reviving SAARC – Institute for Defense Studies and Analyses

The Irrelevance of SAARC- The Tribune

SAARC – 25 Years of Regional Integration in South Asia (2011)

SAARC Publications:

A Compilation of Memoranda of Understanding/Cooperation Agreements

Areas of Cooperation:

Human Resource Development and Tourism

Agriculture and Cultural Development

Environment, Natural Disaster and Biotechnology

Economic, Trade and Finance

Social Affairs

Information and Poverty Alleviation

Energy, Transport, Science and Technology

Education, Security and Culture

SAARC External Relations:

China’s role in SAARC- Brookings

Memorandum of Understanding Between World Health Organization (WHO) and SAARC

SAARC News:

Pakistan Accuses India of “scuttling” SAARC Summit

With the SAARC Boycott, India takes the strongest diplomatic action against Pakistan after Uri- Quartz

Why SAARC Boycott Support By Bangladesh, Afghanistan And Bhutan Is No Victory At All For India – Huffington Post

PM Modi’s SAARC Boycott is effective, intelligent move against Pakistan- NDTV

This page is under constant development. If you would like us to add any resources, or inform us of any broken links, please email links@e-ir.info