Archive for May 14th, 2015

To What Extent Has Argentina Overcome Its Military Past?

Stephen Levene • May 14 2015 • Essays

Since the 1980s a new respect for constitution, government, democracy and the rule of law have finally found its place within Argentinian politics.

An Assessment of the Pinochet Regime in Chile

Elizabeth Dicken • May 14 2015 • Essays

Chileans are becoming more politically active and are focusing their anger at the unfair university system and the problems that Pinochet’s free market economic policies have caused.

How Effective Was US Involvement in Covert Coups in Containing the USSR?

Patrick Hoveman • May 14 2015 • Essays

Coups were often effective in the short term, but their weakness lies in their long term effects – most notably via deep bitterness from states involved and blowback

Jimmy Carter’s Cold War Transition from a ‘Lamb’ to a ‘Lion’

Joanna Clarke • May 14 2015 • Essays

Carter’s fate was very much symbolic of the constraints that the Cold War had on US policymakers at a time when morals, ideals and optimism had little stock.

Ending the Islamic State’s Siren Song

Jamsheed K. Choksy • May 14 2015 • Articles

Terminating IS requires shutting down their message streams while decisively communicating to prospective acolytes that the caliphate does not offer the rewards it promises.