Open Access Book – Reflections on the Posthuman in International Relations

Reflections on the Posthuman in International Relations. An E-IR Edited Collection

Available now on Amazon (UK, USA, Ca, Ger, Fra), in all good book stores, and via a free PDF download.
Find out more about E-IR’s range of open access books here.

This book exposes a much needed discussion on the interconnectedness between objects, organisms, machines and elemental forces. It seeks to disturb dogmatic ontologies that privilege human life and successfully questions the separation between the natural and human worlds. By doing so, the collection confronts, challenges, and energises discussion beyond International Relations’ traditional territorial lines. By revealing the fragility of mainstream narratives of the ‘human,’ each author in this collection contributes to an unsettling vision of a posthuman world. Questions of what the future beyond the Anthropocene looks like pervasively infiltrate the collection and move away from a system that all too often relies on binary relationships. In contrast to this binary view of the world, the book (re)entagles the innate complexities found within the world and brings forward a plurality of views on posthumanism.

Edited by: Clara Eroukhmanoff and Matt Harker

Contributors: Olaf Corry, Stefanie Fishel, Cameron Harrington, Carolin Kaltofen, Matt McDonald, Darian Meacham, Audra Mitchell, Delf Rothe, Elke Schwarz and Rafi Youatt.

Table of Contents

INTRODUCTION (
Matt McDonald and Audra Mitchell)

PART ONE – HUMAN, THE POSTHUMAN, POSTHUMANISM

1. ‘POSTHUMAN SECURITY’: REFLECTIONS FROM AN OPEN-ENDED CONVERSATION 
(Audra Mitchell
)
  2. BETWEEN RADICAL POSTHUMANISM AND WEAK ANTHROPOCENTRISM: THE SPECTRUM OF CRITICAL HUMANISM(S) (Carolin Kaltofen)
  3. HYBRIDITY AND HUMILITY: WHAT OF THE HUMAN IN POSTHUMAN SECURITY? 
(Elke Schwarz)
  4. ANTHROPOCENTRISM AND THE POLITICS OF THE LIVING
 (Rafi Youatt
)
  5. PERFORMING THE POSTHUMAN: AN ESSAY IN THREE ACTS
 (Stefanie Fishel)

PART TWO – ECOLOGY, NONHUMAN SPECIES AND THE ANTHROPOCENE

1. ECOLOGICAL SECURITY
 (Matt McDonald)
  2. POSTHUMAN SECURITY AND CARE IN THE ANTHROPOCENE 
(Cameron Harrington)
  3. GLOBAL SECURITY IN A POSTHUMAN AGE? IR AND THE ANTHROPOCENE CHALLENGE
 (Delf Rothe)
  4. THE ‘NATURE’ OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS: FROM GEOPOLITICS TO THE ANTHROPOCENE
 (Olaf Corry)
  5. METTERNICH, THE GUT-BRAIN AXIS, AND THE TURING COPS: THE SUBJECTS OF POSTHUMAN IR (Darian Meacham)

Tags: , , ,