Archive for 2010

Conflict and Cooperation over International Rivers: A Global Governance Proposal

Alex Stark • Dec 31 2010 • Essays

Rivers are an important source of water for the majority of the world’s people. It is impossible to imagine a world that functions without enough water for everyone, and in which major rivers are being rapidly depleted. This paper will outline the current governance of international rivers.

Why the European Parliament Will Not Solve the ‘Democratic Deficit’

Caitlin McLean • Dec 29 2010 • Essays

Ultimately, expanding the powers of the European Parliament is nothing more than a pseudo-solution. Without a structural solution, such as a shift from an intergovernmental to a federal polity, any attempt to ‘democratize’ the European Union by increasing the powers of supranational institutions will inevitably fail.

The Developmental State in the Globalizing World

Feina Cai • Dec 22 2010 • Essays

As long as countries have the ambitions to develop, the developmental state remains one of the major state paradigms. Especially for undeveloped countries, it would be a good choice to take advantage of their abilities and resources competing in the world. Therefore, the developmental state is not weakened even if it is not strengthened given the globalization context.

What is the difference between counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism?

Simon Pratt • Dec 21 2010 • Essays

The difference between counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency is simple: counter-terrorism focuses more narrowly on combating the tactics and strategy of terrorism and those who employ it, while counter-insurgency is a broader category of responses to political violence carried out by minority groups, both terroristic and otherwise.

Women and US foreign policy: Finding out what you want from my work

Matthew A. Hill • Dec 20 2010 • Articles

It has been a while since I last posted on my blog. I am returning to blogging with a renewed sense of the importance of generating discussion with the US-focussed research community. In the months and years to come I will be sharing my thoughts on the impact of women […]

The European Union: Power and Ethical Goals

Oliver Jones • Dec 20 2010 • Essays

The particular theory of “Ethical Power Europe” is one that has emerged relatively recently as an evolution of the characterisation of the power that the EU wields. The EU is finding it hugely difficult to act in a truly ethical foundation, devoid of self-interest as a primary motivator. Even the consistent location of the External Relations policy of the EU in a framework of Security suggests that the security of the EU that is the primary motivating factor rather than ethical goals

Realism and Neorealism: An Investigative Overview

Maysam Behravesh • Dec 19 2010 • Articles

Realist arguments are a combination of two discrete, though often intersecting, literatures. The first emerging from the works of classical realists such as Thucydides and Machiavelli, and the second spreading across the history of Western philosophy. One of the most significant aspects of realism is its use of historical evidence, as if one can detect a timeless wisdom of world politics centred upon the principles of realpolitik

American Doubt

Rodger A Payne • Dec 18 2010 • Articles

Many Americans doubt climate change science. Consider the results of a poll released in October by the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication. The poll, called Americans’ Knowledge of Climate Change, conducted from June 24 – July 22, surveyed over 2000 Americans about “how the climate system works, and the causes, consequences, and potential solutions to global warming.”

Amazon Battle: Is hydropower the new Kobayashi Maru?

Olimar E. Maisonet-Guzman • Dec 17 2010 • Essays

The Belo Monte and the Madeira Dams have been subjected to criticism due to their negative impacts on indigenous populations of the Xingu and Madeira River. Besides threatening the livelihood of indigenous communities, the projects also have significant negative impacts on the environment. This nevertheless remains a popular option among policy-makers.

The Application of Force and Strategy in Sun Tzu and Clausewitz

Bleddyn E. Bowen • Dec 16 2010 • Essays

Whilst separated by great distances in time, geography and culture, both Sun Tzu and Carl von Clausewitz can be seen to have developed a rather similar outlook on strategy and the application of force. Whilst both are mutually complementary, Clausewitz has the better overall work on strategy. One would do well to read both On War and The Art of War before becoming a statesman