Edited Collection – Environment, Climate Change and International Relations

Front Cover.indd

Environment, Climate Change and International Relations – an E-IR Edited Collection. Edited by Gustavo Sosa-Nunez & Ed Atkins.

Available now on Amazon (UK, USA, Ca, Ger, Fra), in all good book stores, and via a free PDF download. Find out more about E-IR’s range of open access books here

To state that climate change and environment issues are important to International Relations is an understatement. Mitigation and adaptation debates, strategies and mechanisms are all developed at the international level, often demonstrating the nuances of international politics and governance. Furthermore, the complexities of climate change make it a difficult phenomenon for international governance. Yet, actions at the international level provide the most effective route to tackle climate change.

In the wake of the 2015 Paris conference, this edited collection details current tendencies of study, explores the most important routes of assessing environmental issues as an issue of international governance, and provides perspectives on the route forward. Each contribution demonstrates that the Paris agreement is only the start of global efforts.

Contributors: Mizan R. Khan, Úrsula Oswald Spring, Simon Dalby, Nina Hall, Kirsti M. Jylhä, Emilie Dupuits, Simone Lucatello, Lau Øfjord Blaxekjær, Duncan Depledge, Lada V. Kochtcheeva, Leehi Yona, Alex Lenferna, and Matthew Rimmer

Table of contents

INTRODUCTION
Ed Atkins & Gustavo Sosa-Nunez

SECTION I: INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS TENDENCIES ON ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE

1. CLIMATE CHANGE, ADAPTATION AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS THEORY – Mizan R. Khan
  1. PERSPECTIVES OF GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE IN THE ANTHROPOCENE – Úrsula Oswald Spring
  1. ENVIRONMENT AND INTERNATIONAL POLITICS: LINKING HUMANITY AND NATURE – Simon Dalby
  1. THE INSTITUTIONALISATION OF CLIMATE CHANGE IN GLOBAL POLITICS – Nina Hall
  1. REFUSING TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM: INTERESTS OF THE FEW, IMPLICATIONS FOR THE MANY – Kirsti M. Jylhä

SECTION II: ASSESSMENTS – WHICH WAY TO FOLLOW?

1. TRANSVERSAL ENVIRONMENTAL POLICIES – Gustavo Sosa-Nunez
  1. ENVIRONMENTAL CONFLICT: A MISNOMER? – Ed Atkins
  1. ACTORS OTHER THAN STATES: ROLE OF CIVIL SOCIETY AND NGOS AS DRIVERS OF CHANGE – Emilie Dupuits
  1. GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE FINANCE – Simone Lucatello

SECTION III: TWO STEPS FORWARD, ONE STEP BACK: PERSPECTIVES AS WE CONTINUE WITH OUR LIVES

1. NEW PRACTICES AND NARRATIVES OF ENVIRONMENTAL DIPLOMACY – Lau Øfjord Blaxekjær
  1. CLIMATE CHANGE, GEOPOLITICS, AND ARCTIC FUTURES  – Duncan Depledge
  1. RENEWABLE ENERGY: GLOBAL CHALLENGES – Lada V. Kochtcheeva
  1. THE FOSSIL FUEL DIVESTMENT MOVEMENT WITHIN UNIVERSITIES – Leehi Yona & Alex Lenferna
  1. INVESTING IN THE FUTURE: NORWAY, CLIMATE CHANGE AND FOSSIL FUEL DIVESTMENT – Matthew Rimmer

CONCLUSIONS – LOOKING BEYOND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
Gustavo Sosa-Nunez & Ed Atkins

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,