Edited Collection – Time, Temporality and Global Politics

TTGP cover

Time, Temporality and Global Politics – an E-IR Edited Collection. Edited by Andrew Hom, Christopher McIntosh, Alasdair McKay, and Liam Stockdale

Available now on Amazon (UK, USA, Ca, Ger, Fra), in all good book stores, and via a free PDF download. Find out more about E-IR’s range of open access books here

International Relations scholars have traditionally expressed little direct interest in addressing time and temporality. Yet, assumptions about temporality are at the core of many theories of world politics and time is a crucial component of the human condition and our social reality.

Today, a small but emerging strand of literature has emerged to meet questions concerning time and temporality and its relationship to International Relations head on. This edited collection provides a platform to continue this work.

The chapters in this book address subjects such as identity, terrorism, war, gender relations, global ethics and governance in order to demonstrate how focusing on the temporal aspects of such phenomena can enhance our understanding of the world.

Table of Contents

INTRODUCTION
Alasdair McKay

1. TIMING, IDENTITY, AND EMOTION IN INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS  – Andrew R. Hom & Ty Solomon
  2. TIME CREATORS AND TIME CREATURES IN THE ETHICS OF WORLD POLITICS – Kimberly Hutchings
  3. THE EPISTEMOLOGICAL CONSEQUENCES OF TAKING TIME SERIOUSLY AND THE VALUE OF GENERATIONAL ANALYSIS IN IR – Tim Luecke
  4. GOVERNING THE TIME OF THE WORLD – Tim Stevens
  5. CALENDAR TIME, CULTURAL SENSIBILITIES, AND STRATEGIES OF PERSUASION – Kevin K. Birth
  6. ANALOGUE TIME, ANALOGUE PEOPLE AND THE DIGITAL ECLIPSING OF MODERN POLITICAL TIME – Robert Hassan
  7. TIME, POWER AND INEQUALITIES – Valerie Bryson
  8. WAR THROUGH A TEMPORAL LENS: FOREGROUNDING TEMPORALITY IN INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS’ CONCEPTIONS OF WAR – Christopher McIntosh
  9. ISLAM AND THE POLITICS OF TEMPORALITY: THE CASE OF ISIS – Shahzad Bashir
  10. DISRUPTING THE ‘CONDITIONAL SELFHOOD’ OF THREAT CONSTRUCTION – Kathryn Marie Fisher
  11. CATASTROPHIC FUTURES, PRECARIOUS PRESENTS, AND THE TEMPORAL POLITICS OF (IN)SECURITY – Liam P.D. Stockdale

CONCLUSION – HOW TIME SHAPES OUR UNDERSTANDING OF GLOBAL POLITICS
Caroline Holmqvist & Tom Lundborg

Tags: , , ,